Saturday, March 30, 2013

Jesus' last words...


I went to church today and learned about one of the most significant last words of Jesus which I have not learned from all my theology classes growing up (or maybe I was daydreaming and not quite paying attention..)

One of the famous last words He uttered was 'My God, my God why have you forsaken me?' 

I thought that Jesus - in his human form though divine, understandably felt weak and miserable and questioning God, His Father. 

But a spiritual epiphany came with a sermon that He was actually quoting Psalm 22 v. 1-5. 

'My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?
Far from my deliverance are the words of my groaning.
O my God, I cry by day, but You do not answer;
And by night, but I have no rest.
Yet You are holy,
O You who are enthroned upon the praises of Israel.
In You our fathers trusted;
They trusted and You delivered them.
To You they cried out and were delivered;
In You they trusted and were not disappointed.'


While the Pharisees, soldiers, and the Jewish people looked on wondering why He was calling Elijah, or thinking how He can save others except Himself.

Even when dying on the cross, suffering, tired and hurt, he can still summon the very message of Psalms, conveying it to the hearts of future generations. That even in your most trying times, even when you felt abandoned, God is with you. He will always be with you, especially when you need Him the most, even when you don't understand. 

That Jesus was also prophesying that certain Psalm verse was now made in flesh. happening ..

That He is the real deal...

They trusted and You delivered them.
To You they cried out and were delivered;
In You they trusted and were not disappointed.'


That death to self and life in Christ was revealed to Paul the apostle - an unbeliever, on his way to Damascus..

That whosoever believes in Jesus will gain eternal life, bridging that gap from our Creator.

And that is the most wonderful story ever told...


No comments:

Post a Comment